A council has removed banners accusing it of institutional racism because they were “in breach of planning control”.
He claimed this was the reason for his failed planning applications for the closed-down restaurant but did not provide any evidence of racism when asked by Cornwall Live. The councils did not address the racism claims but provided statements giving legitimate planning reasons for the repeated rejections. You can read that full story here.
Mr Rahman had said on the banners: “I have applied for outline planning permission three times. I have been turned down for outline planning permission three times.
“On the third refusal the planning department have run out of excuses to refuse me. On the third refusal the Cornwall planning department gave me two reasons for refusal, both are that I have not provided enough information.”
After being up for a couple of weeks on The Baba Restaurant the banners were taken down on Tuesday (September 29).
Cornwall Live contacted Mr Rahman about their removal but he said he was unaware they had been taken down. He said he would be inspecting CCTV to figure out what happened.
However Cornwall Council has since confirmed that it had them removed because they did not have planning permission.
A spokesman said: “The council requested that the placards be removed as they were displayed in breach of planning control.
“The placards were not removed so we served notice on the 24 September under Section 225 of the Town and Country Planning Act of the intention to remove them.
“The placards were still not taken down after the 48 hour notice period, so the Council arranged for their removal on Tuesday, September 29.”
The banners had also made accusations about named council staff, local developers and MP Derek Thomas.