One in hospital after three people exposed to toxic fumes

One person was taken to hospital and two others were treated by paramedics after a sewage leak in Carbis Bay.

Toxic gas was found in a watercourse and drains in the village following a sewage leak earlier today (Wednesday, September 9), but the authorities say the situation is now under control.

The area was sealed off and the beach evacuated where the stream entered the sea.

After people were also evacuated from the sea and residents told to stay indoors with doors and windows shut, Carbis Bay beach has now been tested and reopened.

People do not have to remain indoors either, however Cornwall Council says they should avoid Carninney Lane – where the leak was from.

A statement from the council reads: “There is no further risk to the public. Environment Agency officers are now putting plans in place to safely remove the contaminated water.

“As a precaution, residents living in and around Carninney Lane are being asked to stay away from the affected area while this work continues, but there is no longer any need to keep doors and windows closed.

“This incident has not affected water ways in the area nor any other water sources.”

However, three people have been treated after being affected by the leak.

“Three people who were exposed to fumes released by the spill have received medical treatment from the ambulance service,” the statement continues.

Stay in the know

“Two were treated at the scene and one person was taken to the Royal Cornwall Hospital Trust at Treliske.

“This multi-agency incident is ongoing involving the police, fire and ambulance services, the Environment Agency and specialist teams from Cornwall Council.”

Cornwall Live