Pictures show devastation of house blown up in gas explosion

Firefighters have shared dramatic images of a house completely destroyed by a gas explosion.

Cornwall Live reported last night how the emergency services were called to the explosion at Traly Close in Bude shortly after 9pm.

Remarkably, and fortunately, despite the devastation shown in scene photographs, nobody was seriously hurt.

A Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “At 21:04 a 999 call was received reporting an explosion at a domestic property and a strong smell of gas in the area, it was also reported that there were possibly two casualties trapped in the building with three walking wounded.

“Appliances from Bude and Holsworthy were mobilised to the scene along with specialist shoring equipment to help stabilise the two storey semi-detached house.

“On crews arrival they confirmed that there were no casualties trapped within the damaged structure and the incident was sectorised. Crews remained on scene until the property had been assessed by a structural surveyor. The incident was left in the hands of Police.”

The aftermath following a gas explosion in Bude
(Image: Bude Community Fire Station)

Giving more information and sharing pictures of the scene was Bude Community Fire Station.

A spokesman said: “Shortly after 9pm on Wednesday, we received multiple calls to a serious incident involving a gas explosion at a property in Bude, with people potentially trapped inside. Thankfully on arrival it was quickly established that all persons were accounted for, and remarkably, there were no serious injuries – those involved were left in the care of the South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust crews.

You can stay up-to-date on the top news near you with CornwallLive’s FREE newsletters – find out more about our range of daily and weekly bulletins and sign up here or enter your email address at the top of the page.

“Due to the instability of the dangerous structure, a strict cordon was put until place, the gas and electricity supplies were isolated and the nearby properties were evacuated. Fire crews and officers from Bude Police monitored the building closely whilst a structural engineer carried out checks.

The aftermath following a gas explosion in Bude
(Image: Bude Community Fire Station)

“Once it was deemed that there was no further risk of danger, our crews left the scene shortly after midnight, and the incident was handed over to the police and gas safety engineers.

“During this incident, the water rescue crews from Bude were also mobilised to a separate incident, to a vehicle stuck in flood water in Hallworthy. The occupant of the vehicle was rescued safely, unharmed.”

Cornwall Live